As Spring is here, we welcome the opportunity to play and learn in the garden. Here are a few of our favourite things to do in the garden alongside some excellent resources to work alongside you.
A huge list of ideas of objects for children to find outdoors with lots of variations to vary it from time to time.
All children seem to love water play, here’s a list of activities with variations that will keep them busy for a good while.
Teach them some gardening skills and get some jobs done at the same time.
Enjoy reading outdoors.
Maddie Moate is a favourite of ours. She encourages children to explore different aspects of outdoor space and is currently posting a daily live video.
lETTER AND NUMBER LINE
You will need:
- a washing line/piece of string
- letters/numbers written onto the back of cardboard boxes/post-it notes
Choose how you’d like to play:
1. Peg to spell tricky words
2. Peg in number or alphabetical order
3. Peg numbers/letters in order missing out 10, ask children to fill in the gaps
4. Spell out names
5. Blindfold them and ask them to pick 5 letters or numbers from the line- can they make a word/sum and work out the answer?
REGROW VEGETABLES FROM WASTE
You can regrow vegetables from the pieces chopped off and usually thrown away.
Place the root in a shalllow dish of water and see what happens!
conduct your own experiments
1. Make a ramp with wood and block and slide cars down them- predict what will happen when you lower/raise the height of the ramp.
2. Gather 10 objects from around the house, make a chart split into two columns- sink/float. Predict which object will sink or float and try it out.